Pageviews past week

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ueli Steck again! Annapurna's South Face...solo



photo courtesy of Ueli Steck

"I think I finally found my high altitude limit, if I climb anything harder than that I think I will kill myself." - Ueli Steck on his 28 hour solo of Annapurna's South Face.

Ueli Steck - Annapurna South Face - Quick Edit from Nepal from Fenom Creative Group on Vimeo.

http://www.uelisteck.ch/

http://patitucciphoto.com/2013/10/13/ueli-steck-annapurna-climb-2013/

From Rock and Ice and UK Climbing:

Jonathan Griffith, a frequent climbing partner of Steck, "I haven't been able to speak to Ueli yet, but I did speak to his wife, and she has confirmed that Ueli has done the route."

Details pending.  Should be a good read!

Congrads to Steck!

"The south face of Annapurna was first climbed in 1970 by Don Whillans and Dougal Haston, members of a British expedition led by Chris Bonington which included the alpinist Ian Clough, who was killed by a falling serac during the descent.

Annapurna I holds the highest fatality rate among all 14 eight-thousanders: as of March 2012, there have been 52 deaths during ascents, 191 successful ascents, and nine deaths upon descent, which means that "for every three thrill-seekers that make it safely up and down Annapurna I, one dies trying."[7] That same ratio is at or above six-to-one for all of the other eight-thousanders, except for K2 and Nanga Parbat.[7] Climbers killed on the peak include Russian Anatoli Boukreev in 1997, Spaniard Iñaki Ochoa in 2008,[11] and Korean Park Young-seok, lost in 2011.[12]
The first solo climb occurred in October 2007 on the south face by Slovenian climber Tomaž Humar."

1 comment:

brian p. harder said...

Wow. Pull the trigger, indeed!